XPSP2 users may see this during the PlayerPal install if the XPSP2 Firewall service is stopped.
Error shown by the PlayerPal install program
"An exception occurred during the Commit phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the installation will continue. However, the application might not function correctly after installation is complete. -> There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper."
When you try and install PlayerPal you may get this error, after which the installation will (annoyingly) abort.
Why? Well, the PlayerPal install adds PlayerPal to the allowed applications on your Windows XP2 Firewall (for local LAN access only and only if you have XP2). However, if the firewall service is stopped, the install will fail. This was not spotted in testing, as if you disable the firewall in Control Panel it does NOT stop the service and the install still works! Doh!
How to workaround this now
To install the current version (4.2 sr1), you need to enable the firewall service for a short period while PlayerPal is installed. You can disable it immediately afterward if you want.
How to enable the Windows firewall service while installing PlayerPal
- Open Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management
- Expand Services and Applications
- Expand Services (so you see a list of the services)
- Scroll down to the service named "Windows Firewall\Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"
- Right click on it and select Start
- Install PlayerPal after the service has started
- PlayerPal should be installed and working!
- You can now disable the service again...
Do steps 1-4 again but this time select Stop!
Thanks to Robin for running the PlayerPal debug setup and sending me the resultant log file. It enabled me to find the problem quickly.
News. Fixes. Discussion. First. Subscribe to the PlayerPal blog + Join the PlayerPal Google Group